Monday, November 18, 2013

Camping with Students?

So the brick that broke the camel's back for me at the charter school, was camping with the students.  As the charter school grew, adding a high school, the board wanted all of the high schoolers (9th and up) to go camping with the teachers and principal for the first week or second week of school.

The idea behind it was so that students could and teachers could bond, do some activities to push themselves (ropes courses, etc.) and do light academic work to warm them back up for the school year.

Some good ideas, I guess, but I didn't want to leave my family behind for a week to monitor my students for a full week, round the clock. It was too much responsibility, and I loved my students, but I needed to say goodbye to them at the end of the day.

So that was it, the final element that helped me decide to move onto another school.

No comments:

Post a Comment